APP2: Taking some photos at St. Luke’s Church

With the deadline for me to send off the book to the printers fast approaching, I needed some better photos of certain parts and features of the church (which I had previously discussed here), so I arranged to go there briefly this afternoon to take some photographs of various features of the church.

Examples of photos I took (edited):

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.27.59 Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.28.08 Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.28.18 Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.28.27

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.29.13Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.29.22

Framed Images:

I was very surprised to be shown these. Stored away out of sight, I would not have expected the church to have these, and it was a real treat to see, especially the one of Miss Adelaide Anne Mitchell, as that means I can use a better photograph of her on the relevant page in the book.

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.28.37 Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 14.28.58

Front Cover Image:

Just as I was leaving the sun was starting to set, the weather was perfect, and I knew I needed a couple of outside photos, especially one for the front cover of the book. I was really disappointed with my timing though as it had been too cloudy when I got there, but I had left it too late in the afternoon (by 10 minutes or so) and the pavements were littered with school kids and their parents making it impossible to move around much and get decent imagery, so I quickly snapped a couple of photos and went home.

I was therefore most surprised when one of the photos actually turned out to be good enough for the front cover once I had done some editing. It turned out to be one of those moments when luck was just on my side with regards to lighting and composition and even the weather, with a small cloud to break up the plain blue sky!

I still need to try it out and see if it works with the text that will need to be on the front cover, but I am confident it will work out well.

St. Luke's Church - 2014 outside edited

Conclusion:

Now that I have all the photos I need for this project (aside from the two images of the vicars), I will be experimenting to work out which ones will fit best into the spreads and finalising the design.

Advertisements