APP2: Very early development for the St. Luke’s Church book

This is going to be a relatively short blog post covering the key developments of the project from the beginning of properly putting together a design to the first test print, which I know will be the subject of the next blog post, where I will go into certain design features in much greater detail.

At first everything began quite unorganised, as I just kept moving elements around until I was vaguely happy with their sizing and positioning. An example can be seen below with the contents page, I tried a different background colour and positioned the elements on the page accordingly. The actual contents of the contents would go in between the heading and the quote at the base of the page.

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 11.14.59

Thinking about one of the inspiring designs I talked about in a previous blog post, I wanted a gradient behind the church’s mission statement as I felt adding colour made it more noticeable, drawing in the audience’s attention to a greater degree.

I think the design is successful although I am not sure how well it will fit into the design yet. When I first tried it in the InDesign document on the contents page, it did not look good, but I think that was more because of InDesign poorly showing it, as it looks fine when printed and when the image is viewed in Photoshop.

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 14.05.21

I then started trying out pastel colours for the background, such as the very pale blue visible below, which worked well I thought, but not for this particular spread with all the black and white photography.

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 11.15.09

One experiment I tried with the Iron Church spread was to have a corrugated metal background, to match that seen on the church. I found a free background to use and was very disappointed with the result as it made the text extremely difficult to read.

I did try lowering the opacity, but it gave a washed out finish that was not suitable as it looked really unprofessional.

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 15.03.55

The image taken in 2010 of the five altar windows with a black background immediately connected in my mind with the thought of having a black background for the stained glass window spread as it allows for the colours in the glass to appear most vibrantly, and also allows the background of the image to disappear.

I also placed a information box about William Glasby on the spread as I think that could be an interesting read for the audience.

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 13.27.16

As for the amount of images that will be on this spread as well as all the type, it is becoming clear to me that there might need to be a second spread added to enable all the information to fit on.

Something I need to think about is the alignment of type, below you can see it is left aligned but the rivers this creates I think really unsettles the aesthetic of the page. I am very reluctant to have the text justified as it introduces unequal spacing between characters and words. I seem to remember my tutor saying a long time ago that there was an advanced way of altering justified text so I will ask him about that when I do the first test print.

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 13.27.03

For the vicars spread, I spent a long time working out the grid to enable the images to be of a decent size. Firstly I needed to find out how many vicars St. Luke’s Church has had, and once I knew it was 7, I was able to work out my grid would be designed for 4 on the right, and 3 on the left, which would be pushed to the base of the page to allow for the heading and sell.

I wanted to keep everything as minimal as possible as I didn’t want to add the extra problem into the design of writing a paragraph summarising each one of them. However the design was flexible enough so that if it was later deemed that a paragraph for each vicar was needed then it could be accommodated.

Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 10.44.06

Conclusion:

Progress is very slow at the moment, and I have only seriously looked at a couple of spreads. Now I have a rough idea of what style I am aiming to achieve, development will move at a much faster rate.

Advertisements