FMP: Realising the leaflet

For the second out of three blog posts, I will outline the key processes used to create one of my designs for the FMP. Here I shall focus on the leaflet. The processes are duplicated from the last post and changed slightly to be relevant.

To create the leaflet I could use either Illustrator, InDesign or Photoshop, as this is a rather simple design to create and the facilities I need are in all the programs. For ease of use I used Adobe Illustrator CS5.1 and Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 for the images.


Obviously, as with the brochure I wanted the typography to be correct to aid aesthetics and ensure legibility.

Character Palette: A very helpful tool to have as many functions can be controlled. It can be accessed by going to Window > Type Character (or Cmd + T) I shall list below the ones I used:

Kerning: Used to vary the spacing between individual characters, this came in handy for the large text on the front cover, where I was able to fine-tune the spacing so that ‘The All-New’ and ‘Range Rover’ lined up to give the design some symmetry.

Tracking: This was the tool I used the most. Tracking alters the distance between all of the selected characters. I found the tracking for the body copy to be too cramped at the default 0 value, so I selected +50 to allow for some extra spacing.

Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 10.22.28

For some of the larger text such as titles, I increased the tracking to +100 or +150 if I wanted to emphasise the negative space between the characters, giving each one more definition, and to slightly slow down the reading of the title. While this works well in general, it can upset some of the spacing, which is where the kerning comes in useful.

Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 09.11.46

Paragraph Palette: 

This was another helpful tool that allowed me to set the longer passages of text in a suitable way. To access it, go to Window > Type > Paragraph (or Cmd + alt + T) I shall go through what I used from this below:

Alignment: I chose to Left Align my text to ensure that the spacing between each word was equal, which I would not be able to achieve if I went for the Justify with last line aligned left option. Also choosing Left Align matches what I designed with the brochure to create a consistent identity.

Hyphenation: As I do for every text box, I turned this off, as it does not make for a sensibly readable paragraph if words are hyphenated.


I was very lucky with the images from the Land Rover press pack being so fantastic to work with, being of a high resolution and large enough to allow for flexibility in my designs. For the majority of images all that was needed to was to place them in the document (File > Place or Cmd + D) and make sure that the composition within my spread was suitable.

The idea I had for the final cover images was that they would look stunning in black and white, especially the front cover image I had in mind, where the sand was very bright, so detracted from the vehicle.

I’m going to take that image I used for the front cover image as an example to show the processes I used. Here’s how it originally looks:

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 16.48.00

Therefore I made a copy of the file, opened it in Photoshop, and went to Image > Adjustments > Black and White…. This brings up a dialog box where the values of the colours can be altered. Sliding them one way or the other controls how the final image looks. The image below shows them in the ‘Default’ setting.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 16.50.27

After changing the sliders, where I mainly focused on decreasing the Reds and Yellows, here is the final result:

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 16.51.07

I repeated this process for the image I used for the back cover as well.