FMP: Finalising the brochure spreads

This is the last blog post I will be making regarding the spreads for the brochure, as here I will be showing screenshots of the final spreads, as well as the adjustments needed to finish some of them. Showing screenshots from the exported PDF file allows spreads to be viewed at a much higher quality than the photos of the test prints I did.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.34.17

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.34.26

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.34.32 I have made the necessary changes to the on-road spread, with the text in two columns, and the ‘fact’ box altered, now featuring a full set of fact and images.Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.34.40

For the off-road spread, I have changed the style to match the on-road spread, and the text is much more readable on the background on the right page.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.34.47

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.34.53 Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.35.02 Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.35.11

The engine images have been corrected by following the steps I was taught in making a clipping path around the engine and saving the file as a Photoshop EPS.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.35.19

For this spread I changed the background image which has made an enormous improvement to the look of the spread, it looks so much brighter and easier on the eye as the background is plainer. I have also raised the opacity of the boxes from 60% to 80% to decrease some of the background ‘interference’.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.35.28

I fixed the colour swatch background issue on the left page, although the ‘glow’ for the highlights and shadows does not work with this method. I was really pleased with this, as I think it looks so much better without, having a slight embossed look to it, but without ‘popping’ out at the reader too much.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.35.37

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.35.44

As I was advised to, I have changed the brightness of the image (to +20) to make the shades of black more noticeable, as well as the contrast (+17 – 23 depending on image) to bring out the differences between the primary and secondary colour more.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.36.54

This spread is now finished, and I am really pleased with the end result as it is just what I hoped it would look like. I have shown a couple of audience members who were really pleased with how much better this looks over the traditional conventional format.Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.37.01

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.37.08

The technical specification page was where I encountered the biggest issue. Converting to a clipping path and saving as a Photoshop EPS file did not work as the paths were not accurate enough, meaning when it was imported into InDesign, the lines were too thin, and with elements of white around the edge. With time at a premium, I decided I would be best of putting a dark grey box around the edge, to be a bounding box, and make the colour of the car a slightly darker grey to match that off the table. This solution looks decent even though it was not my first plan, and it will be interesting to see how it looks when I see the final printed product.

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.37.23

Screen Shot 2013-05-18 at 15.37.30

Now I shall turn my attention to the covers and contents page, and once that is done, I will be able to send off for my brochure, which is an exciting thought.

Advertisements