FMP: Brochure design continued

By now I am feeling confident that the design of the brochure is coming together well. However, there is still a long way to go, and a lot of work that needs to be done. Here is the next step in my design process.

I decided to go back to the first spread, and make that work, as I had another idea for an image that would capture the history of the Range Rover. It is based on an image taken of one of the first Range Rover’s and one of the first new ones, together. The night scene works well and can be used as a background, of which the majority can be covered with other content without a problem. From there I had an idea of where to set the text, and I chose that the transparent boxes would be black, so as to fit into the night theme, letting the bright lights shine through.

Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 17.01.56I then bought the image I originally wanted to use back into play, trying out different positions for it. I did try having it bleeding off the page to match what I had done elsewhere, but soon decided this was not the best option.Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 17.00.03 The final design of this spread had the image moved so as to leave a 10mm border so as to be in keeping with the other objects on the page. This worked really well and provided the desired result. I finished it off with a caption ‘The Evolution of an Icon’ which I sourced from the Range Rover press pack. With the type being white, and on the darkest part of the background, it stands out very well. Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 15.08.46Moving back to the design and engineering spread, I decided I did not have four or five facts to fill the column so decided to reduce the space it had. This then also had the benefit of creating space for another image to be included, which was beneficial. The text needs some adjustments for the spacing and rivers.
Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 17.10.52

This is the first spread where I changed the background to a pale grey to solve the complaints over the white background. I chose a pale grey as I knew a new background had to be pale, and fit into the monochrome colour scheme that allows the vibrancy of the colours within the photography to establish themselves. I have to say I think it makes a huge difference to the appearance of the spread, and a very positive one at that. I will be rolling out this new background on all spreads that don’t have a full photographic background. Screen Shot 2013-04-28 at 11.13.15

Something I didn’t mention earlier was that I needed to fit some extra information into the spread, Acceleration and Top Speed, so to do that I needed two extra rows. To find the space I needed I merged the fuel and CO2 information together as they relate to the same subject of efficiency. I also had the issue of the engines being on a white background, which would now not be suitable. To get around this I used the Magic Wand tool, replaced the white with the same shade of grey, and brushed up the edges, which works well.

Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 15.24.44

I was also working on another spread, for the exterior paint swatches. This I wanted to be really bright, and make the colours look desirable. I started by thinking about how many colour swatches should be on a page, and how they should look. Asking the couple of audience members who have been invaluable during this project, they felt that the ‘basic’ swatches should be expressive, with the more varied, exclusive colour swatches that less audience members would be interested should take a back seat.

I started by creating a vector silhouette of the vehicle which I could take into Photoshop and apply layer styles to.

Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 16.42.47 Here is the finished result in Illustrator, I put a Bevel and Emboss on to get the 3D shape, a Color Overlay which I can adjust to make different variants as well as a Gradient Overlay, which is white at the top, black at the bottom, and highlights the different light levels for the paint. I set the blending mode to Overlay so it doesn’t take away from the colour. I also added a Smart Filter to add Noise to, but unfortunately this doesn’t work as well as I hoped it would.Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 16.43.06 So I think the answer will be not to have the metallic effect on there, and instead focus on getting the colours as accurate as possible.Screen Shot 2013-05-07 at 16.43.14

I think what I will do now, is just to get on and design, and then come back and focus on explaining the key points once I have done the first test print, which I hope will be very soon. By then I will have more spreads complete so my logic in designing this brochure will be much clearer.

Advertisements