FMP: The beginnings of the brochure design

I started designing, by making a list of the things the audience would want to see covered  in the brochure, and I thought to myself I might as well combine it with starting to come up with a contents page at the same time. So below is the embryonic stages of the contents page. Something that is noticeable is that I have carried over the black bar at the bottom of the page from the second cover design proposal, and that in the bottom right corner, there will be a little side graphic of the Range Rover. I went for a black background to match the first cover design, but am comfortable with the fact it will work well with both designs.

Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 17.47.32 Once I had fleshed out some more what I needed to include in the brochure, I decided to include some page numbers to give me an idea of how large it would be. This is needed because I need to balance the cost of printing against the quality of the brochure and how much there is for the audience to read through. I am thinking 20-35 pages is optimal.

I am also trying out a way of pointing to each specific section with the vertical lines that break off into horizontal lines. I feel this design is a bit odd though, and clutters the page up, which is not what I am looking for, and does not reflect well on the car, as my research has shown me the design of the brochure needs to reflect the qualities of the Range Rover.

Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 20.44.21

Below are three basic ideas I want to explore for the layout of the spreads. The first one below is to explore a black and/or white background. This works reasonably well I feel, although my concern is that a black background needs a white dividing stroke to separate it from the ‘footer’ as I shall now call it, so I am thinking black is not the way forward. You can see for all three designs here that I have come up with some text to describe the contents of the page. It fufills the purpose of a title, but instead of being in the top, as is traditional, it remains in the bottom of the spread, so as to allow the image content to be noticed first.Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 17.48.09 The second option I wanted to explore was to have the image based in the top half, and text and smaller images in the bottom half. The problem with this one though, is that the design limits the main photo used as it has to fit to a very set size, and I have to be careful to avoid the turn-in of the two pages.Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 17.48.30 The third option, and one that I think is the best way to progress with this project, is to have a main photograph as the actual background. The only thing I will need to be careful with is the turn-in (like the image used below would not be suitable) and that the background is suitable for text to be placed on top of. I think this will be the best stylistically, and maximise the spread size to allow the imagery to shine, which is what my research has shown is needed.Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 17.47.58

I asked around for some feedback, including audience members for the Range Rover, what they felt of my embryonic designs. They, like me felt the contents page was too cluttered and needed streamlining. As for the layouts, they felt the photography needed to be expanded to fill the spreads, as that is the key thing that would attract their eye. I also asked them what else they would be looking for, and they stated that they would not want a surplus of text, they want something they can glance through and get a clear understanding of, and that if they want to know more detailed specifics, they will take the matter to a dealer and speak to them in person.

Conclusion: I shall now start to develop spreads, as I get ideas for them, building them up as I go, so it will probably be a design process where I chop and change what I am working on really quickly, with some spreads advancing way more quickly than others.

I am able to consult in-depth with a couple of audience members about their opinions of the brochure, which is helpful as their feedback will not come from a design perspective, but an audience one.