Improving the Identity Project…

Or should that be pretty much starting again? With the deadline of March 8th to hand in all of the projects for the Graphic Design and Typography module, I felt it was time to revisit one of the projects from this module and improve it.

This project was top priority to improve. One, because it is based on my identity, and therefore very important to me that I make the right impact with my identity documents. Second, quite simply, I looked back at my designs and decided I did not like them at all, they did not look professional enough, and with the original timeframe only being a week I wondered whether I had effectively used the time to draw the conclusion I wanted.

So I started again, thinking about various ideas, having a few ‘designer’s block’ moments, until finally I reached a stage where I had two base concepts, which you can see below. I did not really bring too many new ideas to the table as such for the front of the business card, more about refining them.

For the back of the business card though, I wanted something different and eye-catching so I made the decision to enlarge the icons I had created previously and change them to fit the two proposals I was working on. I then worked out a way to place text around them.

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 14.18.19 Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 14.33.07Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 15.03.19

For the letterhead and compliment slip, I worked from the business card, and came up with two proposals.

One change I had been advised to make from previous feedback to better balance the composition of the design was to move my contact information to the bottom of the page. This was a great suggestion and really helped to balance the composition.

As for typefaces, I chose Open Sans for the ‘colour’ proposal for the same reasons as I did for earlier designs in this project, and chose Helvetica Neue Bold for the ‘monochrome’ designs, as the strong geometric forms and type colour was a perfect match for the qualities of the logo I had created.

Personally, I preferred the business card of the ‘monochrome’ one and the letterhead/compliment slip of the ‘colour’ one, although it may not be suitable to print because of the margins.

From there I decided to get some feedback, which thankfully, pretty much mirrored what I thought, that the monochrome business card was better, but the letterhead and compliment slip of the other design, as one person thought it “seems like a letterhead for a standard company more than a graphic designer.”

So I went with the monochrome design, and made the first batch of changes to the letterhead and compliment slip, to add a divider to the header and footer courtesy of two 1.5pt lines, that added some well needed structure to the design. Normally, I would never use lines of that thickness, but as the design is so bold, I felt it worked rather well.

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 15.57.17 Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 15.56.17

I felt there was just something lacking from this design though, and although the idea was to be black and white, I felt a bit of colour would not go amiss. This was also commented on in the feedback I got, and I was also thinking that the Open Sans typeface may be better, as it has more character.

So I decided to create a ‘hybrid’ design from the two proposals. Now I am well aware hybrid designs that mix and match concepts can be disastrous, as you can lose the core idea that made them good in the first place, but I wanted to give it a go, and I’m glad I did, as I feel I have found a set of designs I am very happy with that showcases my identity better than before. I have taken screenshots of the new design against the old for the sake of comparison.

Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 20.17.31 Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 17.34.57Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 17.34.42

All that was left to do after that was to ensure the files were suitable for printing and make some very small changes to ensure everything is lined up correctly to margins etc. I have done a test print of them, and now just need to print them properly for submission.

Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 10.07.17Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 10.01.57 Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 10.02.10

Overall, it was a really productive day that has made a big difference to one of my projects, which hopefully will benefit my marks for the course I am studying, but crucially, I have a identity I am happy to use.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Improving the Identity Project…

  1. I love the addition of colour and think you have vastly improved on the original. The only part that stands out to me as negative is the use of chevrons between your name and title. They strike me as ‘web design’ or how the breakdown of a folder list appears in Windows Explorer. Personal taste I guess, but if you’re like me with my writing, any constructive criticism is useful. Keep up the great work!

    1. Thank you, any constructive criticism is definitely useful, as otherwise I would not be able to develop my designs as far as I can.
      I see what you mean about the chevrons now, I’ll have a look into it today, and I’ll ask my tutors about it tomorrow when I see them, and gather some feedback on these designs as a whole, then I’ll update this post with any changes.

Comments are closed.