For this blog post, it will be the second part of how I shall be looking into the processes involved in making the logo and business card designs for my client as well as the process in making the mock-ups to submit for my course, and preparing images to send to the client. As with the last part, which can be read here, this will be a more general write-up than I did for my last project, which was a very in-depth look.
- Adobe Illustrator CS5
- Adobe Photoshop CS5
Logo: To make the logo for the client, I started out with the image I had taken from his YouTube page, and dragged it into an Illustrator file.
I then used the Rectangle Tool, available from the Tools Panel to draw over the logo and get a design that looked close to what I would be aiming for. Drawing it on a grid allowed for the dimensions to be created accurately. To ensure I could see the grid beneath I selected the shapes and lowered the opacity to around 50%.
To select the colours from the original image, I used the Colour Picker from the Tools Panel, before editing those choices, such as lightening the skin, and darkening the hair by double clicking on the Fill box at the base of the Tools Panel, and sliding the colour selector around the area to change the shade of colour used.
I then finally grouped the shapes (Edit > Group or Cmd/Ctrl + G) together so they could be moved and re-sized as one.
I then put the text beside it, using the typeface Bebas Neue. As I have previously discussed for this project, the style of this typeface gives impact to the words it is set in, but is not overpowering and its character forms are strongly defined, not being too thick or thin. It also has a curve to it, unlike some typefaces which do not feature smooth curves. I set it so that it would look suitable next to the image part of the logo, adjusting the tracking of ‘Broken’ from the Character Palette so that it took up the same amount of space as ‘Method’
From there, I made two copies of the logo, one to be used on a dark background, and one for a light background.
Business card: I started by opening an Illustrator file to the size of 85 x 55mm, in landscape form.
The free image I got to use as the background to the front of the business card was from Morguefile, at this place specifically. I downloaded it, opened it in Photoshop, and went to Image > Image Size, to change it to 300dpi for print use and saved the image.
I then placed (File > Place) the image file into Illustrator that would form the background for the front of the business card. As the image was much larger than the business card, it meant I could re-size and position it to capture exactly the part of the image I needed. To make it fit to the business card, I drew a rectangle using the Rectangle Tool from the Tools Panel to the same size as the business card (85x55mm) and positioned it on top of the canvas, ensuring it had no fill or stroke. From there I need to select both shapes using the Selection Tool, and go to Image > Clipping Mask > Make (keyboard shortcut: Cmd/Ctrl + 7)
I then got the logo I made earlier, re-sized it and placed it in the centre using guides which can be drawn out from the rulers in Illustrator. (Cmd/Ctrl + R to reveal/hide)
For the back of the business card, I used Rectangle Tool to draw a shape to the dimensions of the canvas and used the Color Picker tool to take a swatch of colour from the sky image. I then opened up the Fill box and moved the positioning of the selector for a slightly brighter, more noticeable blue.
I then created the text using the Type Tool, altering the settings through the Character and Paragraph palettes, using the typeface Open Sans for the client’s details, which as I have explained previously, is a clear, minimal typeface to suit the client’s needs. Bebas Neue was used for the client’s name to keep consistency throughout.
I added a musical note by finding an image of one, placing it into Illustrator and tracing it using a vector ellipse (using the Ellipse Tool) and a path (using the Pen Tool) I then used the Line Tool to draw a line under the musical note and the client’s name as a divider, which also asserts some hierarchy to the business card.
Below is the finished result:
I then decided to print a small test batch of 8, as that is what would fit on an A4 sheet of paper. I made templates to ensure when I printed they worked well, but when it came to printing I realised the paper I had was only good for one-sided printing. So I printed the front and back on separate sheets, and then Sam Aylard (check out his blog via the link) showed me how to spray-mount them together, as I’d never done it before and can be generally ham-fisted with such practical tasks!
I then left it to dry, cut them out using a scalpel (an advantage of this printing method was that the business cards are thicker, and therefore, more substantial to hold, and you can see the end result below: