This project, is all about getting the right identity for the client, one that not only represents his image in a positive light to his audience/potential audience, but in a manner where he is totally happy with the connotations the audience take from it.
With the research from Dan, he provided a link to his YouTube channel, where I noticed some rather intriguing ‘pixel art’ being used as the logo for the page, which looked rather cool and interesting, something I felt could make a sharp, quickly comprehendible logo that would make a strong impression.
Then I noticed there was a link on the page to a deviantART account, which was very useful as this meant there would likely be some more information about preferences and perhaps some self-initiated designs that may give a true indication as to his likes, which I think should be reflected in his identity to give a true impression of him. The only thing to note was that some of the designs were a long time ago, so it could well be that, as time has moved own, so has his interest in them.
Anyway, below is some stuff I have picked out that will more than likely shape a series of proposals to show to him. (Anything from deviantART will have a screenshot, with written credits, as I know the security filters at college block deviantART, and I need the images here to be accessible to my tutors all the time.)
With the name Broken Method the one that the client wishes to use for this project, it is interesting that the pixellated images seen here promote a distorted, abstract style that has connotations of not only a 8-bit style, but of a say a TV screen, when the digital signal breaks down. This little play on the name will be a first proposal in an 8-bit style and I want to experiment with it, as it may contain a lot of potential. Something to be aware of though is this style may link more to an electronic music producer rather than an creator of acoustic music.
Making use of landscapes may well be a good way to go, as the album covers I was shown both features landscape scenes. The example images here that he has ‘favourited’ suggest to me this is likely to be what the client wants. Both images are completely different to each other, with the top image being very pale, featuring a lot of depth courtesy of the horizon and mountains at the back, and the bottom image making use of more vibrant colours, that features a greater contrast and I would say contains a lot of bewildering features. I think that achieving the sense of bewilderment can be easier when using an environment especially if it is out of context. This does lend itself to photography so I will probably need to use free stock photography and edit it, or make something using brushes in Photoshop and/or using photomontage.
Knowing the client is interested in abstract, geometric patterns as showed from the research in my last blog post, I think this is an avenue that really needs exploring. I think that with patterns, there seems to be an infinite number of styles that could be created, allowing for a unique, personal identity, which is what I am aiming to design. If the pattern was randomised, (I guess it wouldn’t truly be a pattern then…) that could provide a rather bewildering effect, which I think the client will really like.
This section of the project is an important one to get right, and must not be overlooked as it gives a voice to the words that are presented as part of his identity. I think this will depend on what design proposal is followed.
A pixel based idea could make use of a pixel typeface rendered instead of printed, out of pixels, as I did with my Postcard designs, pictured above. This would be for display use, and without a doubt, would need to be combined with a secondary typeface that I can use for the rest of the information, especially on the business card etc.
For a more random approach, perhaps a typeface such as American Typewriter may suit his needs the best, so that it keeps up the general inconsistency that he likes to convey with his music and may suggest a more acoustic feel. However, from the research I have gathered, I think this is is unlikely to be favoured with the clean sans-serif style the client wants.
Following on from a point made earlier on in this project, a clean, simple, sans-serif typeface will more than likely be best to use throughout this project, especially with the abstract/landscape scene designs the client prefers. This is because a typeface in this style will not take away from the environment, and has some impact to it, to make the information clear and legible, which is just what is needed for an identity. However, it must have some character, so I think a typeface such as Helvetica will not be suitable here.
Building on Proposal C, my initial thought is to use Bebas Neue, as I think this could suit this rather well because of the fact that the letterforms are bold, and feature a lot of colour to make the impact on the page, but are not overly bold and brash. The only issue is that a typeface like this does not have a lower case, as it is intended to be a display typeface, and I think one is preferable in order to give flexibility to the design. Therefore this would need to work with another typeface with an upper and lower case. I will need to research into this.
What I will now do is to research into a few album covers from the list of artists the client is inspired/interested by, and will aim to pick out further elements that I will look to include within my designs.