Words – Juxtapose – Adjustments

Here is where I shall be detailing the adjustments I have made to my design for the word ‘juxtapose’ This blog post has been delayed as although I sorted all but one of these adjustments out earlier this week, as I wanted to wait for an interim crit for both tutors and other students to look at my work, in case there were suggestions for improvements. There was one small adjustment that was recommended from this crit for me to look into at the interim crit, which I have added.

Wallpaper: This was the first big change to the design, one forced through need rather than want unfortunately. The old wallpaper was really suited to my design as the colour was right, the pattern did not stick out too much, and being William Morris designed (Borage ceiling paper) it looked good. It did not bother me that it was ceiling paper as it provided what I wanted for the walls. However, it was my fault that when I threw together the earlier design I saw the fact the pattern did not align perfectly. No problem I thought, I’ll edit it when I make it properly… except it did not have the full pattern there so it could never be matched properly. I could have made it larger and tried to cover it up, but really I knew it would not be perfect, and I felt there was no excuse for not fixing it.

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 16.06.28

So I had to find a replacement, and thankfully I found one here via a Google search for the term ‘wallpaper’

https://i0.wp.com/content.wallpapers-room.com/resolutions/1920x1200/W/Wallpapers-room_com___Wooden_Floor_New_v2_by_Mac-Ray_1920x1200.jpg

The style is good, and although the colour is lovely, it’s not what I want for my office. Therefore I have taken it into Photoshop and changed the brightness & contrast, hue & saturation, and decreased the lightness. I’ll go through the exact process when I talk about how I made the design. Then I cropped it to the pattern, leaving me with the result below:

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 16.54.30Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 16.51.16

Juxtapose design

Wood Texture: Something one of my tutors and I commented on when I did a test print from the laser print instead of the inkjet printer I would print my final piece on was how the extra saturation from a laser printer makes everything darker. This made me realise that the wood looks more realistic when slightly darker. So knowing this would not carry across to the inkjet printer I have edited the file by decreased the lightness to -20 in the Hue/Saturation dialog box for all of the layers that were using the wood texture. Here’s how it looks now, compare it against the image above for a comparison:

Juxtapose design improved

Picture frame: I felt in retrospect the picture frame is too thin and flat, so it does not make a suitable impact to the design. I also could not find a colour or pattern that suited it in vector, so I made the decision to replace it with a wooden picture frame that I can montage the paper and type on top, which has improved the design I think as it looks more realistic and matches the wooden desk and door. I also blended the type into the the old paper using the ‘Blend If’ function, which I’ll talk about when I show how I made this design.

New picture

Keyboard: On closely looking at the design, I could see that the shape did not match the perspective it should have done, so it was a case of going back and altering the shape in Illustrator, then replacing it in the Photoshop file.

Paper: I have added some paper onto the desk underneath the pen and pencil as I felt they were meaningless without any paper! Therefore I created it as a vector shape and imported it into the main file in Photoshop.

General Improvements: Upon closely looking into the design, I noticed certain features did not line up correctly so I have fixed those and also made sure all photos in the design are at a resolution of at least 300dpi. I did not check the resolution of the images when I created the design as I was not sure how far I would develop it, but now it is pretty much finalised, I need to bring it up to an acceptable standard for printing.

Door frame: It was recommended to me at the second interim crit that the door frame could be just off-white, say a light cream. This would take away from the harsh white that is currently there. I felt this was well worth a look, so I experimented with a light cream colour but I was not keen on that, but could see it looked better off-white. So I made it a very light grey (CMYK 0,0,0,10), which worked out very well. Although I thought of grey, I was not so sure it would work, but the trick I learnt here through experimentation was to keep the grey extremely light, as can be seen from the images below:

Before
Before
After
After

Result of changes: Below you can see the adjustments I have made all together, it always surprises me how a few small changes can alter the look of something so much. I have to say I am very happy with the result of this design.

Final Design

Advertisements

One thought on “Words – Juxtapose – Adjustments

Comments are closed.