24.10.12 – More development

Following on from the feedback I received that I placed in my last blog post, here is where I show how I acted upon it as well as making my own improvements. I will talk about everything here in generic terms as I will write up a specific post on how I made my design once it is completed.

The first thing I did was to lower the brightness and raise the contrast of the pencil sketch so as to make it slightly stronger visually, as although I wanted it to be the background to the focal point I felt it stood out too much.

The first main thing was to sort out the double helixes, to make them more three-dimensional. To do this, I decided the best method would be to take an individual strand for one of the DNA helixes, and alter the colour by adding a value of either 5,10, or 15 to the value of zero in the K box for CMYK on the colour picker. This worked well, and a subtle contrast is now visible that allows the reader to detect this extra depth as can be seen in the up-close image.

Something I really was not very happy about was the iris, with the texture behind it. To this extent I experimented a bit but then I got sent a tutorial from another person in the Graphic Design group I am in, with a tutorial for making a 3D eye, which can be viewed by clicking here. (Video is not in English) I took the fibre idea it showed, and was able to create after a few attempts, what I think is a very good, textured iris. I also added some layer styles to enable give the iris some depth as well as the beginning of an inner shadow.

I have also completely re-brushed the shadow in on the iris, as before it was only a half effort as such as I knew I would have to re-build the design today anyway.

Now the design was mainly in place, I felt I would attempt to place a ‘reflection’ of a face onto the pupil. To do this I took a photo against a pale background, placed it in Photoshop and made a few adjustments so that my face was barely visible. I then placed it onto the pupil and brushed around my face to fade it into the background.

I also added an extra spot to the bright reflection as although I liked the way the main reflection was at 80% opacity so you could see part of a DNA strand, I felt it was too dull to be a main reflection.

As a final touch, I then added a folio to the base of the design as I had forgotten to do this when I wrote the caption last night. I have used Open Sans as the typeface for both folio and caption as it was a close match for the custom typeface New Scientist use and suited the style of the magazine. I used the semibold weight for the caption so as to make it stand out from the pencil sketch with the various gradations I had used, and for the page number part of the folio. The rest of the folio was set in the regular weight, as it is not meant to be so visible.

While I was fixing the feedback, I also built the design in a brand new document so as to go through everything logically and ensure everything that had been noted got fixed.

This should be the final design now, as the deadline is on Friday, and I need to print it and write up this blog to fulfil the academic side of this course. There may be some adjustments though to be made to this design, and I’ll put that in another blog post if there are any.

Advertisements