Development – Initial response to feedback

Well I managed to get some feedback for my designs. The general summary of this was:

  • Focusing too much on the eye has the potential to confuse the audience when the article is about faces.
  • To counteract the above point, faces need to be included into the design somewhere, and I feel this can be achieved within the design.

Below are some sketches researching into whether it would be possible to integrate faces into my design and what method will work best, so that is why there are no space themed objects here. I would never normally present some of these sketches as they are so rough and unannotated, but time is short and it shows the raw thought process I had. I’ll annotate when necessary below.

My thought process on the above sheet was to assess the suitability of the iris and pupil for the home of the faces I need to add. The iris is curved, so any face placed there will be distorted. This reminded me of theatre masks, with their exaggerated distorted expressions and felt they would be apt to simply convey emotion. The other idea I had can be seen in the small sketch of the face half lit, which reminded me of the Moon. This could be located within the pupil, and show the emotion that the ‘black hole’ of the pupil contains as after all, a black hole sucks in a lot of mass.

On the above sheet, I have been trying many methods to incorporate faces into the design, and I have put together multiple ideas in the same sketch so as to compare them to each other. What I am looking for is a design that incorporates two faces, one happy, one sad, for a range of emotions that can fit into the ‘universe’ theme I am working on. More than likely I will be using planets and stars, as objects of the universe to make up these designs. It will just be a case of experimenting until I strike the right path.

Above is the general composition of how I expect my page to end up looking. As you can see I have experimented more with the faces as I really wanted to see what size they would be in reality if I presented that as a final piece. I can now confirm that the faces will have to be quite dominant in the iris in order to stand out. However, I am more convinced now the answer lies in the pupil, and making something accessible there to the audience like a half-visible face to symbolise the hidden element of character that most people have. More experimentation and feedback is needed I think.

I also set up a Photoshop document to assess the effects that could be made with a gradient for the background, and brushes to create a random, space like background. If I get time I’ll write up a tutorial showing how I achieved this effect. Now I may well use a library image for the final design and twist it to fit, but I wanted to experiment whether or not I could place a face into this design. There is potential, but the thing I have found that works best is the eyes that can be seen placed in the centre. The positioning is not important for now, but the brushes do not accurately recreate the face I want, despite the eyes being really good. So I am thinking the best option is to sketch the face, scan it in, adjust it in Photoshop and integrate the ‘eyes’ in this design as part of the reflection.

Now it is just a case of repeating the cycle of experimenting, getting more feedback, and experimenting some more.

Advertisements